I can't help but smile at the memory of the night when a friend tried to engage me in debate. Apparently I failed to rise to the bait he offered. I guess that I was distracted by my own thoughts and missed his verbal challenges. Finally, he looked me in the eye and asked what was wrong. Something had to be wrong with me to avoid a good debate.
Thus, I cannot judge others by my own behavior. Not everyone enjoys conflict as much as I. However, this still doesn't satisfy my curiosity. What is wrong with people who run from it?
We are about to make an important decision on November 6th. Doesn't everyone want to have the facts and make the best decision? How can they know for sure that they're making the best decision if they don't make a conscious effort to think about it, converse about it, debate it, argue it?
Conservatives talk with me. Tea Partiers will go toe to toe with me. Democrats have never been shy. But liberals? Progressives? No way.
Several important issues have come to light in recent days. You won't find them mentioned on the leading broadcast networks or in large city newspapers. They seem to be avoiding them. However, the blogosphere is alive with them. I'm only seeing one side of this news. I would love to talk with anyone who supports President Obama's reelection to get their side of the story. However, if I even mention these developments, they recoil in horror, accuse me of spreading malicious gossip, and threaten to “unfriend” me if I don't shut up and go away. What is their problem? What are they afraid of?
What are these issues?
- Are we holding a filmmaker as a political pawn? It's evident that his terrible video, insulting to Muslims, was not responsible for the attack on the American embassy in Benghazi. It's equally evident that the President and members of his Administration knowingly lied, blaming the video for the attack. Was the President covering up his failures in managing foreign relations? Why is this filmmaker still behind bars?
- Did the President knowingly order military assets to stand down, assets that might have repulsed the attacks on the American embassy in Benghazi? We now know that U.S. armed forces could have arrived well before the diplomats were murdered. Why would he deny them reinforcements?
- Did the President abandon the White House while terrorists attacked the embassy in Benghazi to attend a political fund raiser?
- Is the President actually responsible for bringing Osama Bin Laden to justice? Or, did Leon Panetta authorize the mission? There is evidence that the President is falsely claiming this as his accomplishment. Is it true?
- Is the economy on the road to recovery? Or, is the Administration doctoring the numbers to create the illusion of recovery?
- Has the President avoided meeting with his Council on Jobs while massive unemployment and under-employment persist?
- Has the President avoided meeting with his Security Advisors while terrorists run rampant?
- Did the President authorize the CIA to negotiate directly with Al Queda, and arm them to foment revolution in Middle Eastern countries?
- Did the President's statements in the last debate honestly reflect his lack of understanding of military matters or was he simply employing “snark” for effect? He is supposed to be the Commander-in-Chief, isn't he?
All of these issues, and others, are being presented with highly credible evidence from highly credible sources. I'm sure there are opposing viewpoints, but the people I expect to present them, especially those who support President Obama assiduously, won't even discuss them. They attempt to distract me with specious attacks on Mitt Romney. They complain that George Bush is responsible for all the ills that face America. The President himself deflects blame on others. Whatever happened to the sign that Harry Truman used to keep in the Oval Office when he was President, “The Buck Stops Here”?
I don't need people who agree with me. I need my friends and family who support the President to challenge me, to show me, with credible evidence, the error of these assertions. Or, if they accept these charges as true, do they not care and support the President in spite of them? Maybe they think I shouldn't care either. Why won't they tell me?
Why won't they even talk to me?